Printer Friendly Version
Mrs. Twiggenbotham’s Coconut Cookies *
Makes 4 dozen
1 cup sugar
grated rind of one orange**
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups shredded or grated coconut
- In electric mixer or food processor at medium speed, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, extracts and rind until well blended, occasionally scraping bowl .
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt until well blended.
- With mixer or processor at low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Beat well, scraping down sides of bowl, until a soft dough forms.
- Stir in coconut.
- Refrigerate dough 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray cookie sheets with cooking oil spray.
- Using about one tablespoonful for each cookie, roll dough into balls and place on cookie sheets.
- Dip the bottom of a small glass in flour and press each mound of dough flat. (You will have to dip glass in flour for each cookie).
- Bake at 375 degrees 7 to 9 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
**Grate only the colored part of the peel, not the white part underneath
All of Mrs.Twiggenbotham recipes should be done with adult supervision
*This recipe is from Mrs. Twiggenbotham Goes to Town, which also includes recipes for Lemon Blueberry Tea Bread and Plum Conserve. Recipes in Mrs. Twiggenbotham Goes to a Party include Chicken Soup and Chocolate Cherry Delight. (Yum!!)